COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
AKF USA collects information from you when you do certain things, such as:
- Register for, administer, or sign in to your account
- Register for events and programs
- Make a donation
- Use or otherwise interact with the Services directly or when you interact with us via email, text message, or social media, including to sign up for our newsletters
- Submit requests or questions to us via forms, surveys, or email
- Communicate with us, including through volunteers acting on our behalf, or have other dealings with us, including requests for customer support or technical assistance
- Submit uploads or posts to the Services
The types of information we collect will depend upon the Services you use, how you use them, and what you choose to provide. The types of data we collect directly from you may include:
- Street Address
- Phone number
- Email address
- Payment and other donation-related information
- Employer or business contact information
- Preferences on matters relating to AKF’s mission and work
- Volunteering-related information
- Login credentials
INFORMATION WE AUTOMATICALLY COLLECT
When you use the Services, we may automatically collect certain information as described in this Section. As discussed further below, we and our service providers (which are third party companies that work on our behalf to provide and enhance the Services) use a variety of technologies, including cookies and similar tools, to assist in collecting this information.
Log Files. When you use the Services, our servers automatically record certain information in server logs. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, browser type and settings, referring/exit pages and URLs, number of clicks and how you interact with the Services, metadata associated with uploaded content, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed or moused-over, mobile carrier, date and time stamp information and other such information.
Device Identifiers. When you access the Services using a computer or mobile device, we may collect specific device information, including your MAC address and other unique device identifiers. We also collect information such as the type of device you are using, its operating system, and mobile network information, which may include your mobile phone number.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM AFFILIATES AND NON-AFFILIATED THIRD PARTIES
AKF USA may receive additional information about you from third parties, such as business partners, marketers, researchers, analysts, and other parties that we may use to supplement the information that we collect directly from you.
To collect the information in the section above, we and our service providers may use Internet server logs, cookies, tags, tracking pixels, and other similar tracking technologies. A web server log is a file where website activity is stored. A cookie is a small text file that is placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit a site, that enables us to: (i) recognize your computer; (ii) store your preferences and settings; (iii) understand which web pages of the Services you have visited; (iv), enhance your user experience by delivering and measuring the effectiveness of content tailored to your interests; (v) perform analytics; and (vi) assist with security and administrative functions. Tracking pixels (sometimes referred to as web beacons or clear GIFs) are tiny electronic tags with a unique identifier embedded in websites, online ads and/or email, and that are designed to provide usage information like ad impressions or clicks, email open rates, measure popularity of the Services, and to access user cookies. As we adopt additional technologies, we may also gather information through other methods.
Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can modify your browser setting to decline cookies by visiting the help portion of your browsers toolbar (e.g., Internet Explorer; Google Chrome; Mozilla Firefox; or Apple Safari). If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in, customize, or use some of the interactive features of the Services.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
- Provide the services and support you have requested
- Process transactions and send notices about your transactions or your network activity
- Compare information for accuracy and verification purposes
- Respond to your requests for information and provide you with more effective and efficient customer service
- Provide you with information on the mission and work of the organization
- Provide you with information on programs and events we are offering
- Communicate with you about fundraising, including to solicit donations
- Provide you with service notifications via email and within the Services based on your notification selections
- Customize the content you see
- Synthesize and derive insights from your use of the Services to help us better understand your interests and needs and improve the Services
- Protect our Services and our users
- Enforce the legal terms that govern your use of the Services
User Content. The Services may permit you to submit content, send messages and other communications, and provide other information for publication or distribution to third parties (collectively, “User Content”). AKF USA may view and share your User Content for any reason, including: (i) to maintain, provide and improve the Service; (ii) to resolve a support request from you; (iii) if we have a good faith belief, or have received a complaint alleging, that such content is in violation of our legal rights; (iv) as reasonably necessary to allow AKF USA to comply with or avoid the violation of applicable law or regulation; or (v) to comply with a valid legal subpoena, request, or other lawful process. We may also analyze your User Content in aggregate and on an anonymized basis, in order to better understand the manner in which our Service is being used.
Combined Information. For the purposes discussed in this Policy, we may combine the information that we collect through the Services with information that we receive from other sources, both online and offline, and use such combined information in accordance with this Policy.
Aggregate/De-Identified Data. We may aggregate and/or de-identify information collected through the Services so that such information can no longer be linked to you or your device (“Aggregate Information”). We may use Aggregate Information for any purpose, including without limitation for research and marketing purposes, and may also share such data with any third parties, including advertisers, promotional partners, sponsors, event promoters, and/or others. By using the Services, you consent to such use.
We use third-party web analytics services on our Services to collect and analyze some of the information discussed above, and to engage in auditing, research or reporting. The information (including your IP address) collected by various analytics technologies described in the “Cookies and Similar Technologies” section will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Services, including by noting the third-party website from which you arrive, analyzing usage trends across AKF USA websites and mobile devices, assisting with fraud prevention, and providing certain features to you.
If you receive email from us, we may use certain analytics tools to capture data, such as when you open our message or click on any links or banners our email contains. This data allows us to gauge the effectiveness of our communications and marketing campaigns.
CALIFORNIA DO-NOT-TRACK DISCLOSURE REQUIREMENTS
We are committed to providing you with meaningful choices about the information collected on our Services for third-party purposes. However, we do not recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do Not Track signals, as the Internet industry is currently still working on Do Not Track standards, implementations, and solutions.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
AKF USA does not sell donor information to anyone, including other nonprofit organizations, nor does it send donor mailings on behalf of other organizations. AKF USA will share your information in the following ways:
- Affiliates and Subsidiaries. We may share information we collect with AKF USA’s affiliates within the Aga Khan Development Network when you donate to an AKF affiliate via AKF USA.
- Volunteers. In some cases, we may share non-sensitive information about you with our volunteers so that they may contact you to solicit funds or obtain information from you.
- Service Providers. We may provide access to or share your information with select third parties who perform services on our behalf. These third parties provide a variety of services to us, including without limitation billing, sales, marketing, provision of content and features, advertising, analytics, research, customer service, data storage, database management, security, fraud prevention, payment processing, and legal services.
- Legal Process. We may disclose your information in response to any subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process we receive, or to establish or exercise our legal rights or to defend against legal claims.
- Third-Party Integrations. When you initiate a connection with a third-party integration through the Services, we will share information about you that is required to enable your use of the third-party integration through the Services.
- Aggregate/De-Identified Information. Again, AKF USA may share Aggregate/De-Identified Information about use of the Services, such as by publishing a report on usage trends. As stated above, this Policy places no limitations on our use or sharing of Aggregate/De-Identified Information.
- Consent. We may also disclose your information to third parties or on our Website with your prior consent.
Donors who make gifts to AKF USA may, either at the time of their donation or anytime time subsequently, communicate to AKF USA staff or authorized volunteers by mail, email, or phone their recognition or communication preferences.
AKF USA respects wishes of donors who choose not to receive mail, phone calls, or emails. Donors who do not opt out of one or more modes of communication may periodically receive e-mails or postal mail with AKF USA news, programmatic updates, and event information, and may receive calls to thank them for their gift or provide an opportunity for further engagement.
THIRD-PARTY LINKS AND SERVICES
The Services may contain links to third-party apps or websites or services, and also contain third-party integrations. If you choose to use these, you may disclose your information not just to those third-parties, but also to their users and the public more generally depending on how their services function. Because these third-party websites and services are not operated by AKF USA, AKF USA is not responsible for the content or practices of those websites or services. The collection, use, and disclosure of your personal and other information will be subject to the privacy policies of the third party websites or services, and not this Policy. We urge you to read the privacy and security policies of these third parties.
The Services are not intended for individuals under the age of 13. We do not knowingly solicit or collect information from individuals under the age of 13 on our Website. If we become aware that we have collected personal information (as defined by the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act) from children under the age of 13, we will take reasonable steps to delete it as soon as practicable. If you have concerns, or if you believe the Services are being used by someone under the age of 13, please address these concerns to email@example.com.
HOW LONG WE STORE YOUR INFORMATION
We will retain your information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Policy unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
We reserve the right to amend this Policy at any time to reflect changes in the law, our data collection and use practices, the features of our Services, or advances in technology. We will make the revised Policy accessible through the Services, so you should review the Policy periodically. If we make a material change to the Policy, you will be provided with appropriate notice and we will seek your consent to the updated Policy in accordance with legal requirements.
HOW TO ACCESS, UPDATE, OR REMOVE YOUR INFORMATION
To access, update, or remove certain user profile information, please call our office at 202-293-2537, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or write us at:
Aga Khan Foundation USA
1825 K Street, NW Suite 901
Washington, DC 20006
Please remember, however, if we have already disclosed some of this contact information to third parties, we cannot force the deletion or modification of any such user profile information by the parties to whom we have made those disclosures.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
AKF USA is committed to ensuring the security of your personal information. To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and ensure the proper use of information, we have established and implemented appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures with the aim to safeguard and secure all information we collect.
Through our service providers, AKF uses Internet Encryption Software, Secure Socket Layer (SSL) Protocol when collecting or transferring sensitive data such as credit card information. Any information you enter is encrypted at your browser, sent over the public Internet in encrypted form, and then de-encrypted at our server. Once we receive your credit card information, it is accessible to a small number of trusted AKF USA employees who have been specially trained in processing this information.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
California law permits users who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, a list of the third parties to whom we have disclosed their personal information (if any) for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year, as well as the type of personal information disclosed to those parties. However, AKF USA does not share your personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and would like to request this information, please submit your request in an email to email@example.com.
USE OF SERVICES FROM OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES
CONTACT AKF USA
December 3, 2019ref